Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

one word for the year

Pinned Image
As I begin 2013 along with the rest of the world, I am beginning to realize that there is so much more to ME than what I do, whom I love, how I communicate, and what I believe.  I have struggled the last 3 months of 2012 in trying to find my uniqueness and care for my soul as I live in my world of many titles - mom, wife, graduate student, daughter, sister, pastoral intern, parishioner, friend, advocate, etc.  It is hard, in the midst of those multiplying identities to remember who I AM and what it is that I FEEL, I NEED, and I DESIRE or yearn for.  Even more difficult is attempting to be a person of substance in ministry that cares for the other with so much "love" that there is no "love" remaining to keep myself true to ME.

That is why, when Sarah Bessey shared about her unique New Years Resolution to chose one word that sums up what you see yourself being in a given year, I was intrigued.  To learn more about this one word project, you can check it out in depth at oneword365.com.

So perhaps, if you are still reading, you might be thinking what my word might be.  I have spent a good long time contemplating and running through possibilities in my mind.  Some I considered were
present
content
thankful
grateful
genuine
fearless
brave
bold
enough

but the one that was right in front of my face, plain as day, that I was totally missing was the one.  And once I noticed it, it could not be more clear.  My One Word for 2013 is
  authentic

This year I will find my own truth and be honest about it with myself and others.  I will say yes to what I desire, and to that which nurtures my body and soul, and no to those things that I feel compelled to do by others.  I will not hide in the shadows of fearing being misunderstood and will speak my truth in LOVE.  I will not ache when what motivates me does not motivate others, and I will not regret that which motivates others not motivating me.  I will trust myself, listen to myself, care for myself, nourish myself, and expect the best of myself without punishing myself.  This is the year where I have a chance to really find myself and learn how to claim her individuality in a way that is peaceful, loving, honest, and true.  This year, I choose to be authentic.

1 comment:

  1. Authentic is a great word- and goal!! If you haven't already read it, I'm recommending Brené Brown's "Daring Greatly" to everyone who will listen to me. If this is your goal this year, she has a lot to say you will find interesting.
    happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete